How to buy?
This pages gives you all the practical information you need about the auction.
The following informal English translation is provided for informational purposes only. The legally binding text is the Dutch language one.
The sale takes place under the following terms and conditions:
- The sale occurs by auction to the highest bidder by payment of the purchase price and expenses.
- Biddings and payments are made in EURO.
- The buyer pays BWFA ten percent (10%) excluding VAT on top of his purchase price for the sale expenses, which are payable to BWFA. It is brought to the buyer’s attention that in addition to the abovementioned fixed expenses, the buyer also has to pay possible VAT on the purchase sum. If this is the case, the seller shall create an invoice.
- The purchase sum and expenses are payable to BWFA after no more than three (3) business days.
- All statements made by the auctioneer, be it in writing or in oral form, are not to be referred to as statements of fact. They are to be considered only as an opinion, given according to the best of the auctioneer’s knowledge and are for guidance only.
- The risk is transferred to the buyer at the moment of delivery. Delivery cannot take place before the foal reaches the age of 4,5 months. The foal should have been weaned for at least 1 week at delivery. The ownership of the embryo is transferred to the buyer at the moment the buyer makes the payment to the auction organisation. The surrogate mare stays in ownership of the seller, or this can be agreed upon differently between seller and buyer.
- If the buyer pulls out of the purchase, BWFA is entitled to immediately re-auction the foal without accepting the original bidder/buyer’s bid. The original bidder/buyer is obliged to pay BWFA the expenses for
re-auctioning the foal as well as the difference between his bid and a possibly lower sales price after re-auctioning.
- Each person is assumed to buy on his/her own account. In default of payment, liability to another person will not be accepted.
- Any dispute occurred during the auction can only be resolved by the acting notary. His/her decision is definite and irrevocable.
- If a buyer can’t be immediately identified, the foal shall be called again.
- The provisional allocation is done under the condition precedent of the seller’s approval. Immediately after all foals have been provisionally allocated, the respective sellers are asked to give their approval and it is clearly announced in public which foals receive final allocations and which foals are withheld.
- Both Belgian and international buyers who cannot attend the auction in person or cannot be represented by an agent can arrange with the auctioneer to:
- Participate in the bidding with an absentee (written) bid. Written bids are to be handed to the staff during the exhibition or sent to the auction house via email or fax together with a bank guarantee. In the event of identical written bids, the earliest bid received will take priority. In the event of identical bids with floor bids during the auction, the floor bid will take priority. To allow time for processing, absentee bids should be received at least 48 hours before the sale begins.
- Participate in the bidding by telephone or online. The auctioneer will not accept liability for any consequences resulted from technical problems related to the telephone call during the auction. To participate by bidding by telephone you need to send us a bank guarantee and the following information at least 48 hours before the sale begins. your name, address, phone number, foal(s) of interest (catalogue number and name of the foal).
- The sale is done according to Belgian law. Any disputes shall be settled by the courts of the district of Ghent.
You are present or plan to be present
The auction will take place the July 31, 2019 at Sea Coast Stables, Moerzeke, Belgium.
On July 31, 2019 the foals will be presented at 6.00PM, subsequently they will be auctioned at 9PM On the auction day the foals can be seen in the auction stables. The stables are publicly accessible as from 12 PM. You can also bring a visit to the auction stand to gather additional information about the process of the auction, the foals …
If you like to bid on a foal you need to raise your hand or an auction catalogue to make your bidding clear to the spotter. There is no need to register your intention to bid if you will be attending the auction in person.
- For each lot assigned to you, you must clearly indicate your paddle number.
- A single auction can consist of multiple sessions. Your paddle number in this case always applies to a single auction regardless of the number of sessions.
- In each one of the previous cases a copy of your credit card is required. This copy serves for internal use only.
You cannot be present during the auction
There are two possibilities to participate in an auction as an absentee buyer:
- Participate in the bidding with an absentee (written) bid. Written bids are to be handed to the staff during the exhibition or sent to the auction house via email together with a bank guarantee.
In the event of identical written bids, the earliest bid received will take priority. In the event of identical bids with floor bids during the auction, the floor bid will take priority. To allow time for processing, absentee bids should be received at least 48 hours before the sale begins
- Participate in the bidding by telephone. The auctioneer will not accept liability for any consequences resulted from technical problems related to the telephone call during the auction. To participate by bidding by telephone you need to send us a bank guarantee and the following information at least 48 hours before the sale begins. your name, address, phone number, foal(s) of interest (catalogue number and name of the foal).
With a written bid, you instruct the Auctioneers to bid for you as a third person, i.e. the Auctioneer looks after your interests as a bidder.
For example, you give orders to bid for a specific lot up to € 15,000; the bidding will start at the amount of € 5.000.. The Auctioneer acts in your interests up to a maximum of € 15,000. If the item is sold for € 16.000, that is your bad luck. If the final bid in the hall is € 11.000, you acquire the piece for € 12.000.
Forms can be downloaded from our website. Please fill out this form with your details, the catalogue number and name of the foal(s) for which you wish to bid, and the maximum price you are prepared to pay (your maximum bid is always exclusive of the 10% auction fee!).
All written bids must reach us no later than 48 hours before the first session of the auction, regardless of the number of sessions.
Your registration is only valid when you also include a copy of your indentity card/passport and a bank guarantee
You reserve a telephone line:
You can reserve a telephone line by registering with our bidding form. The form can be downloaded from our website.
With this telephone line you can effectively participate in the bid. You will be telephoned by one of our staff one foal before the foal you are interested in.
Our representative will ask you to hold the line and when the lot in question is being auctioned, he/she will always inform you of the bids on the floor, on another telephone line or from online bidders. Please, for the sake of clarity, only bid with ‘yes’. If the bidding price exceeds your budget, please indicate so clearly with a ‘no’.
The auction house is by no means responsible for inaccessibility, disconnection of the network or any obstruction whatsoever during the auction.
All requests for reservation of a telephone line should reach us no later than 48 hours before the start of the auction, regardless of the number of sessions.
Your registration is only valid when you include a copy of your identity card/passport and a bank guarantee.
- Actual presence at a session will in all circumstances have priority over written bids and telephone bidding.
- Your registration is only valid when you also include a copy of your identity card/passport and a bank guarantee.
The auctioneer conducts the auction under the supervision of a notary.
The latter represents the Belgian State and will ensure that all actions taken comply with the law.
Bidding takes place by a show of hands at the auction.
A bidder is not allowed to make a bid during the auction by spoken figures.
The auctioneer starts the bidding with a basic amount of 5.000 EUR and increases it each time a higher bid is made. Typically, a bid raises the previous bid by 1.000 EUR.
The ultimate purchaser is the person who makes the final bid.
You always pay a 10% fee + 21 % VAT on top of the hammer price (hammer price 20,000 = you pay € 22,420).
Next to that it is possible that the seller of the foal is VAT duty, if that is the case there will be charged 21% VAT on top of the hammer price.
Are you interested in buying a horse in our auction and you plan to participate online?
The process of online bidding consists of four steps:
Step 1: Register yourself (create online bid account)
You visit the website https://bwfa-auction.weauction.nl/register and you click on “Register”. You will then be redirected to a secured registration page. On this secured page you can fill in your personal details and then click on the “Register now” button. Then you will receive a confirmation email.
Step 2: Wait for verification of your account
After registration your account need to be verified by BWFA Auction Management, this can take up to two days. When your account has been verified, you will receive an email where you can create your username and password.
Step 3: Bid online at the auction
On auction day you can login via the login button or https://bwfa-auction.weauction.nl/login
Fill in your email and password. This will automatically get you in the bidding system. When you participate online at the auction via your computer, you will see live the auctioneer and see bids from the venue and, of course, other online bidders.
The bidding screen will clearly indicate the stage at which the auction is located.
Before you can bid, you must first unlock the bid button. Unlocking the bid button separately is an additional protection for the buyer. The chance to make an offer by mistake is even reduced. After activating the bid button, you will participate in the auction by a single click on the bid button. The bidding button will always display the last bid.
If you have requested, the screen will indicate whether your bid has been accepted and whether you are the highest bidder.
Step 4: You are the highest bidder
If you are the highest bidder, you will receive an email with the confirmation.
For technical enquiries you can contact our technical support desk via: +31(0)10-742 18 12
We accept payment:
- Via wire transfer.
The buyer is due to settle the payment of his/her purchase within 3 (three) working days after the last auction day.
Please make sure your bank wires the full amount. The auction house is not responsible for any fees deducted from your bank or any third party fee.
The auction committee is not responsible for the transport of the foal. It is the seller, breeder that is responsible to deliver the foal in good order. The foal needs to be min. 4.5 months and at least weaned for 1 week. If the purchaser lives outside of Belgium it is his responsibility to transport the foal. The seller is only responsible for the transport within 100 km outside the Belgian border. If you need help with organizing the logistics, please contact the action office they can coordinate between you and some shipping partners.
We also offer a service package that includes raising the foal until the age of 3 years old.
The foals will live at a professional breeding farm in Belgium, for example either Van de Heffinck Studfarm or Odeveld Stud. The cost yearly is 3,500 euro (excl. tax) and includes all regular activities related to horse boarding such as stabling, feeding, farrier, de-worming, and vaccinations. We do require the owner of the foal to take an insurance. At the age of three, the owner can revise the service package should they decide the foal has the expected potential and can be shipped over to the foreign customer. If the wish is for the horse to stay in Belgium a bit longer and receive its first showjumping training it can be arranged as well. With a very reasonable investment, you have the opportunity to invest in your future showjumping horse!